Sunday, July 6, 2008

Getting The Show On The Road

It was the first Monday in November and instead of being on the highway driving home or turning into Jordan’s driveway; I was driving down the back alley that would lead me to the parking lot behind the high school.

Maybe it was because I really wasn’t looking forward to the meeting. Maybe it was the fact that seeing Josh wasn’t high on my priority list. Either way, I was running late. I hated being late but as I rushed in through the doors of the school, I was kind of glad that I was, it meant that I wouldn’t be stuck spending too much time alone with Josh.

Crossing the common room, I made my way towards the gym to Josh’s office, only to find his door locked and no one around to tell me when he would be back. Left with no other choice, I returned to the common room so I could make my way down the hallway towards the front of the school where the main offices were located.

The first person I saw when I turned the corner in enter the front office was Jack, Josh’s best friend. “Hey Anna,” he didn’t seem all that surprised to see me. “Can’t find Josh?”

“No, he wasn’t in his office.”

After a brief explanation, Jack told me that Josh was across the parking lot in the drama building. “Makes sense don’t you think? Since that is where the show is going to take place.”

With a ‘thanks’ thrown over my shoulder, I hurried out of the office, heading back the way I came.

As I made the trek from the school to the drama building, I wondered why neither Cassie nor Josh mentioned that little detail when I spoke to both of them about the show. Would’ve saved me some time, I thought. And I wouldn’t be as late as I am now.

Slipping a little as I walked the last couple steps to the front door of the drama building I couldn’t help but wonder if Josh and all the other parent volunteers would think I wasn’t committed to helping out since I was so late – almost a half hour late.

Gripping the cold handle of the huge double door, I yanked it opened and walked into the dimly lit room, “Sorry I’m….” I trailed off as my eyes adjusted to the light and I realized there was no one around. “Oh shit,” I groaned. “I’m later than I thought!”

“No you’re not,” Josh’s voice came from somewhere in the darkness to my left where all the audience seating was.

“Are you sure?” I asked uncertainly. “I thought we were supposed to meet at 2:30? It’s almost 3.”

Dressed in his typical ‘coach’ gear – sweatpants, t-shirt and zippered hoodie - Josh appeared five feet away from me with his clipboard in hand. “We were,” he told me as he moved towards the stage to my right. Standing only three feet from the floor, it was easy for Josh to lower his body down to the stage as he told me that it looked like we were the only ones. “It seems that most of the kids ‘volunteered’ their parents without asking – they had no idea they were supposed to be doing anything for any show - or so I was told repeatedly when I called most of them this morning to make sure they were showing up this afternoon.”

“So….” I wandered over to where he was. “We have to do this ourselves?”

He nodded, “Looks like it.”

“Well hell,” I plopped down next to him. “This sucks!”

“Tell me about it,” he chuckled. “I was hoping for a lot of help….” He turned his head towards me. “I really have no clue where to start with this – it’s out of my league.”

I frowned, “Then why did you volunteer to be the teacher advisor on it Josh?”

He shrugged, “Cassie was so excited about the idea, I didn’t want to disappoint her by saying no.”

“She asked you, personally?” This shocked me.

“Well…” he shook his head. “Not because she wanted to. See, Clara, the drama teacher has her hands full with the drama club, getting them ready for some big drama competition in the city next month. She told Cassie she would love to help but she really didn’t have the time.”

“So Cassie asked you?”

He nodded, “Yeah she did.” He paused; I could feel his eyes on me. “Is that a problem Anna? Working with me?”

Smiling, I turned to meet his gaze. “I don’t think it’ll be a problem at all Josh. We are two adults; we should be able to make it through this in one piece.” Turning away, I flipped open the flap of my shoulder bag and pulled out my own clipboard. “When I got home last night –”

“How was your romantic weekend away with Jordan?”

Ignoring the seemingly sarcastic tone to his question, I flashed him a big smile. “It was everything I hoped it would be. Now,” I held out my clipboard to him. “Like I was saying, last night Cassie and I were talking and we managed to come up with some ideas for the show and how she wanted to go about raising the money for her charity. I think you should take a look at them and tell me what we can and can’t do since you are the expert on what the school policy is on stuff like this.”

Josh looked like he wanted to say something but I didn’t give him a chance. “While you are reading that, I’m going to take some measurements.” Returning to my bag, I pulled out a small hard covered notebook, a pencil and measuring tape.

“What are you taking measurements for?” He asked as I stood with my back to him and took in the stage setup.

“Why the set of course,” I threw over my shoulder. “Cassie and I were thinking that it would be cool to have a universal set that could be used in various different ways to compliment whatever it is that the students decide to do – be it sing, dance, or act.”

“Anna, where do you think you’ll get the money to build any sort of set? And who will do it? You?”

With a chuckle, I told him to read. “You’ll find all those answers and more in those pages you hold.”

5 comments:

mum said...

hhhmmm...not really getting a feeling on this one. can't imagine where it's going. mum

Carmel Beauty said...

Josh is still being an a$$ I see.

Vikki said...

Josh is so jealous he can't stand it. It's actually kinda funny. This 'production' should be quite interesting...

kmorales4 said...

I smell trouble and I don't like it. I hope Jordan doesn't get jealous over Anna havong to spend time with Josh. I hope Josh doesn't pull anything stupid.

Middleton said...

Once you've found your "happy place", imagine in your mind a blank white canvas. "Oh Gosh, Did I Do That?!" First and foremost, look at what the competition is doing. DIMENSIONS: Driver diameters: 40 mm/15 mm .