Thursday, June 19, 2008

Future

I have to be honest, for a split second after Jordan told me that he wanted us to get a house together, I felt disappointed. I know it’s crazy but yes, I was kind of, especially with all that he was saying, expecting him to ask me to marry him. With all that we’ve been through together and how well we loved and laughed, I wouldn’t have said no, I can guarantee you that!

But with that said, there was a bigger part of me that was relieved. That’s right, relieved! I guess most wouldn’t understand it but let me try to explain. After everything that happened with Josh, the saying one thing and then doing another, I was looking for Jordan to stick to something that we both agreed on. I didn’t want to bring Jordan home with me and have what happened the night Josh and I broke up, happen to us.

I know, it’s not healthy, comparing my relationship with Jordan to the one I had with Josh but you know what? I don’t want to repeat the same mistakes. I don’t want all the drama and I don’t want to wake up one day to find Jordan gone. He means the world to me.

Although, I still wasn’t getting it. I didn’t understand why he was talking about buying a house together when he had a house, which he owned, that was good enough. My confusion must’ve been showing on my face because his smile faded and he pulled back from me.

“I was just thinking out loud,” he said quickly as he rolled onto his back. “We don’t have to talk about it again if you don’t want too.”

Sighing, I shoved up on my elbow so I could gaze down at him. When my hand came to rest on his chest, he closed his eyes and squeezed them tight. I smiled, “You know I don’t disappear when you do that, right?”

“I know,” his hand slid up over my arm as he opened his eyes. “Some times I get an idea and run with it, you know that.” He looked away, “I thought you would be a little excited by the idea.”

My eyes widened, “A little?” I squeaked. “Are you kidding me? I’m super excited about living with you again but…”

He crinkled his nose. “I don’t like the ‘but’, can we remove it?”

“Jordy, it’s not a bad ‘but’!” I chuckled softly. “As I was saying, I’m excited about living with you again but I don’t understand, what’s wrong with your house? Why do you want to get another one?”

“My house is too small,” he told me.

“Too small?” I shook my head. “No it’s not.”

“Yeah,” he rose up on his elbow. “There isn’t a basement, the front yard is crap and the backyard isn’t big enough. Plus, there are only three bedrooms and only one bathroom.”

“How many rooms do you need Jordy?”

“Well,” he held up his hand, fingers folded down. As soon as he started to speak, he extended a finger. “There’s our room and a room for Jenna when she visits – oh! There’s a possibility that I’ll get to have Jenna during Christmas! I asked Heather when I called her and she told me she would think about it but yes, I would get to spend some of Christmas with Jenna.”

“Jordy that’s great!” My heart leapt in my chest as I hugged him tight. “Oh my God! This is wonderful!”

“I was so excited, I felt like crying. How messed up is that?”

Smiling, I reached my hand up to his cheek to stroke it. “It’s not messed up Jordy.”

His hand cupped over mine. “It’s going to be the best Christmas of my life, between Jenna and you; I don’t think I’ll need anything else.”

I blushed. How could I not? Every time he says stuff like that, my heart skips a beat and my whole body tingles. Plus there’s the huge smile that appears out of nowhere - a smile that seemed to widen whenever his eyes met mine.

“But why do you need more rooms?” I asked him. “Even with a guest bedroom, you’ll only need three.”

“Right now.”

“Right now?” I frowned. “Planning on taking on roommates?”

He shrugged, “Yeah, tiny little roommates.” He grinned. “Maybe a couple tiny little roommates? Boy, girl, it doesn’t really matter to me as long as they are healthy.”

“Babies?” I squeaked.

He nodded slowly. “Yes Anna, babies. I told you I’ve been thinking about the future and I know my future is with you – it has always been with you. I want us to look for a home now so that when we do decide to have children, we won’t have to worry about where we live.”

“Wow.”

“What?”

“I…I…” I didn’t know what to say. Yes, I knew he was thinking about the future but I never imagined that he was thinking about starting a family with me. Well, I imagined it, but I kept telling myself that I shouldn’t think of it because I didn’t want to push the issue.

“You seemed surprised,” he stated.

“Well…yeah!” I stared at him. “Why wouldn’t I be Jordan? I didn’t expect any of this tonight. I honestly thought that we wouldn’t talk about our future for another two months.” I gave a little laugh. “I thought I would have to be the one to bring it up,” I admitted to him. “I was expecting to have to convince you to take the next step.”

Jordan smiled at me. “I can understand that but I want you to know that I’m serious about this. I want to take this step.”

“Ok.” I grinned. “Ok! Yes!” I jumped him, rolling him onto his back as I moved over him as I planned kisses all over his face. “Let’s look at houses!”

Later that night, as we crawled under the covers together, Jordan asked me what I thought about Scott’s job offer. “It sounds like it would be something that you would be good at.”

“Personnel manager?” I laughed. “I don’t think I’m up for that.”

“Why not?” He snuggled up behind me and held me tight. “I believe that you would be great at it Anna, people respond to you.”

“Maybe,” I looked back at him. “But the payroll thing? I don’t know if I could handle having to deal with pay issues.”

“You’ll be great,” he repeated as he pressed his face against the back of my neck.

As I fell asleep in his arms that night, I felt so optimistic about the future – something that I hadn’t felt for a long, long time. It was the best feeling ever.

21 comments:

mum said...

I called it! I knew she'd be sort of upset that it wasn't a marriage proposal. She handled it very maturely though....cool! I still don't get the new job thing. I went back and read Monday's post and it said that Scott shared all that was discussed in his father's office, after saying they need to hear some good news. I guess this was it.

Lovin it!
mum

Carmel Beauty said...

Good post!

Dido said...

I loved it too! I hope that wasn't the last one though, right?! The last sentence almost seemed like end. Angela, please tell me it's not!!!

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are all having a great day ~s~

Dido, no, this isn't the last post for this blog...there are a few more to come yet ~s~

Anonymous said...

How in gods name are a mechanic and a Walmart worker supposed to afford a 4+ bedroom house in Alberta? Entirely unrealistic.

Dido said...

Thanks for making my day, Angela!

kmorales4 said...

Don't you just love anonymouse posters? (Rolling my eyes here)


Great post Angela.

Anonymous said...

Well, anon 3:29, since Jordy owns the current house he lives in they sell it and use the capital to put towards the new house. Anna has been living with her family for a while so I would imagine she is getting a pretty good deal on rent so she should have some money saved to also put towards the house, I would hope that Jordan also has some additional savings to go towards it. Or if the original house is fully paid for they can get a leverage loan against it it buy a new house as well as keep the original one. A little creativity is all you need to figure something out. Beside this is fictional after all.

Unknown said...

Not to be a bitch but....
A walmart employee and a mechanic... What is that supposed to mean?!? I'm a 22 yr old college student that owns a 4 bedroom house I rent out 2 rooms to help pay my mtg but let me tell you it can be done, afterall I didn't have renters until after I bought it.

Don't think that jobs have anything to do with it, it's all about hard work which even though this is finctional it seems as the characters do work hard.

Anonymous said...

Please dont take this the wrong way but regardless if this is fictional or not..why is Anna constantly talking about marriage and children?!? She seems to have no other goals in life besides that.

Why doesnt she focus on maybe going to college and getting an education and maybe not working at Walmart for the rest of her life..she is sooo young and shes jumping into these huge commitments.

Thats the only part that seems unrealsitc to me.

Anna said...

Here's a question...what does it matter where Anna works? Why does she have to go to college? Why is it wrong if she's happy with what she does? What's so wrong with working at Walmart?

I'm very interested in knowing what you guys think because I have to tell you, from where I stand, having worked for WalMart for three years now, there are so many reasons why working for WalMart has been great for me. I'll tell you my reasons later if you guys are really interested ~s~

Anonymous said...

This is meant as no offense to you but doesnt she want to ASPIRE to be more than JUST a Walmart employee?

Perhaps a teacher since she loves children or opening up her own daycare.

I just dont understand how someone dreams or wishes to work at Walmart for the rest of their lives. And im sure they have wonderful benefits and such but maybe a college education would help, so that her future children will know they have everyone right and opperunity to go to college and not just settle for working at Walmart and getting paid minimum wage.

Anna said...

Would help her with what? She's happy, she's living her life and she has options. Any child she has will know all that without Anna going to college. Also, they'll know that working hard, no matter what the job is, isn't something to be ashamed off. Maybe they'll also learn that you don't have to do what everyone else thinks you should in order to be happy.

Working as a manager at WalMart isn't settling nor is it a minimum wage job. Hell, I do overnight stock and it's nowhere near a minimum wage job and it could be a stepping stone to something better - without spending butt loads of money - if I wanted it.

College isn't for everyone, nor is it the only way to make something of yourself.

Lynn said...

I think Anna is young and Walmart works great for her now (and it works for Angela too). There is room for advancement at Walmart, so I don't know why the negative about Walmart. That is great if you aspire to get your masters or BA and make a great living. But, I know a lot of people who have gone to college and are working right next to someone who didn't, the only difference is the College grad has $60,000 in debt and the satisfaction of a college degree. Which choice is correct? however I also know people who have went to college and have killer jobs. But, I also know people who have no college education who have killer jobs also. How the heck could any one judge, it is a free society and everyone can do what ever they want. The key ingredient is what kind of person/worker you are and how driven OK, I will step off my soap box now, and let someone else get on.

Being a good parent has NOTHING to do with a college education.

Dido said...

OMG! I am sorry but I can't believe that people have such an attitude about working at WalMart, like it is totally beneath them. Retail is fun and for the people who don't like people, stocking etc. is perfect. It is honest work for honest pay. And I don't know about Alberta but here in the states an ASE certified mechanic starts out at around $18-$20/hour.

Like Shelly said...not to be a bitch or anything! :)

Anonymous said...

A college education does not make a person a better parent. Nor does it make a person become better than another human being. College is a goal for some and not others. It only works for you if that is what YOU want to do and aspire to. We're all different and have different goals. Only ourselves can pick the goals that would make us happy individually once we reach them. It's something that others can't create for us in order to be happy. There's really no sense in judging someone based on their own goals, job or maternal status and comparing them to your own. Personally, I don't live to make people I don't know happy because they think they don't know what makes me happy. To each his/her own.

C

Unknown said...

Let me just say after spending ALL the money to attend business college my boyfriend works at a grocery store making more than I do in title insurance. I'm going to college so I can eventually own my own business but if I didn't have that dream I would stay away from college, it's not for everyone, and in the real estate/title insurance world I work in you don't need college.

Even without college if you stay with a company for a long enough time there are going to be possible advances up, so you really can't judge assuming that people who work at walmart do stuff like sales associate stuff they could be a big wig and could be making more than you do, and a mechanic do you have ANY idea how much some of them can make?? I doubt it...

But you know what Angela? I would like to hear more about what walmart has done for you, so maybe it will teach people who have a bad opinion about walmart employees.

Anonymous said...

I just don't see how a person that works at Walmart (minimum wage, manager, whatever) can afford so much. Walmart workers around here make no more than 40k/yr. Mechanics make about 50k/yr. My boyfriend and I, who both make more than that (neither of us have attended college by the way). Couldn't afford to even buy a shack, especially with cars and other expenses.

It's just not realistic if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I guess it all comes down to the way people handle their money. My roommate makes double the amount that I do, yet I'm always the one who has money to kick around.

A guy I work with just bought a $250K house with a friend and neither one of them are suffering financially from this purchase dispite the fact they didn't go to college or don't pull in outragous amounts of money a year.

My parents own four newer vehicals, have two places here and just bought land to build a house on after they come back from their month vacation to see my other sisters. They were broke 12 years ago when we moved here so they still had bills from back home but yet they managed to get to where they are today from mom working in fast food and dad working on and off in the oil fields - with a family of 5 girls to look after.

It's not unrealistic it's just something people have to work at and possibly make sacrifices for.

Anonymous said...

I am 25 yrs old. My husband and I own a home in cali. Stupidest decision ever! Who cares where you work Anna! Don't buy-RENT! Just kidding. Angela you are a great writer and I think it's amazing that you can stir up such controvery over a seemingly mellow post. Although I miss josh :)

Anonymous said...

Angela, then that's where the difference for you and me come in. If you were spending 250K on a house where I live, you would be living in a shack with no electricity or plumbing!